University of Guelph
50 Stone Road East
Guelph, Ontario, Canada
WasteEng2020 Conference will be held at University of Guelph
- The registration desk and the conference rooms will be located at Rozanski Hall.
- The lunches will be served at the Creelmann Hall.
- The poster sessions will be installed in the School of Engineering, located in the Albert A. Thornbrough Building.
Rozanski Hall is located at 98 Trent lane in the University of Guelph.
The conference rooms and the registration desk will be located in the Rozanski Hall.
The building has been named in honour of Mordechai Rozanski, the University’s longest serving president.
The facility also recognizes the historical importance and architectural heritage of surrounding buildings, and includes materials salvaged from the beef barn that once stood on the site.
Creelman Hall is located at 99 College Avenue East in the University of Guelph.
George Creelman (1869-1929) was a progressive leader, focused on both science and extension, and ushered in a new era of specialization and research that reflected rural Ontario’s needs. He also championed the growth of the Ontario Women’s Institutes. Today, Creelman Hall is a marche-style dining concept; the first of its kind at a North American university.
The Creelman Marketplace looks like a classic 1930’s warehouse with a bright, bustling ambience. In this open-market concept you will find a variety of specialized shops, and exhibition cooking Creelman Marketplace is only a three minute walk from North Campus residences.
Guelph Engineering: Sustainability through Innovation
Having a lasting positive impact on the world around us is core to the vision that motivates our world renowned faculty at the School of Engineering.
With recognized expertise in the areas of Water & the Environment, Sustainable Energy Systems, Instrumentation Design, Resource & Waste Management, Materials Engineering, Intelligent Systems & Automation and Food & Bioprocess Engineering the University of Guelph engineering faculty strive to provide solutions to some of the most urgent questions facing our society today.
Through a truly collaborative and interdisciplinary approach to conducting research, our 60+ faculty and over 250 highly-qualified graduate students are collaborating in local, national and international partnerships that are changing the world in which we live.
HOW TO REACH GUELPH AND THE CONFERENCE VENUE
Guelph from airport
Guelph is located in Ontario. Toronto Pearson International Airport is 75 km far from University of Guelph, while John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport is at about 60 km.
- From Toronto International Airport (one way) approximately 81 CAD (online booking discount)
- From John C Munro (Hamilton) International Airport (one way) approximately 130 CAD (online booking discount)
- Uber – one way – approx 85 CAD
- Taxi – one way – approx 150 CAD
Buses with GO Transit:
- From Toronto Airport – Guelph by GO Transit Bus is approx 1.5hrs and 15 CAD
- From Hamilton Airport via GO Transit bus – requires a taxi ride to local GO station. From GO Station in Hamilton – Guelph is approx 2.25 hrs and 25 CAD (this is a multi-stop journey that goes well out of the way)
ABOUT THE CITY OF GUELPH
Guelph was founded on St. George’s Day, April 23rd, 1827 with the ceremonial felling of a large maple tree. Guelph is considered to be one of the first planned towns in Canada and was chosen as the headquarters of a British development firm known as the “Canada Company”. The location was picked by the Company’s Superintendent in Canada, a popular Scottish novelist named John Galt who designed the town to attract settlers to it and to the surrounding countryside. Galt’s plan was quite imaginative, based on a series of streets radiating from a focal point at the Speed River, and resembles a European city centre, complete with squares, broad main streets and narrow side streets, resulting in a variety of block sizes and shapes. Galt chose the name “Guelph” for the new town because it was one of the family names of the British royal family, and it had apparently never been used as a place name before. Hence the current use of the term “The Royal City” for Guelph.
Despite John Galt’s grandiose plans, Guelph did not grow beyond village size until the Grand Trunk Railroad reached it from Toronto in 1856. After this time, many of Guelph’s prominent buildings were erected, a number of which were designed by high profile Toronto-based architects, but most of which were the product of a talented group of local architects, builders and stone carvers who effectively used Guelph’s locally quarried, warm-hued limestone which today gives a visual unity to the older parts of the City.